Community Design Team: Long Range Facilities Planning
In an effort to ensure all of our students have learning environments that reflect current and future needs the district invited the community to help develop a long-term facilities plan. A Community Design Team (CDT) was formed in 2019 to consider the district's facilities needs and make recommendations to the school board on ways to enhance our facilities to better support our students.
The design team reviewed all of the district's facilities and created a prioritized list of facility needs. A recommendation to the school board was presented on Feb. 20, 2020. The CDT's top priorities included:
- Rebuilding Lake Elmo Elementary
- Expanding Brookview Elementary
- Utilizing Oak Park as a multi-purpose center to house the St. Croix Valley Area Learning Center, the Bridge Transition (18-21) program, and Central Services staff.
- Remodeling Stonebridge Elementary
- Selling Withrow Elementary and the Central Services Building (CSB)
View the presentation to see the CDT's full prioritized list.
Read the CDT final reports:
Community Design Team
The Community Design Team was made up of community members, city and township officials, students, parents and district staff. The design team worked to develop a recommendation to present to the school board on how best to:
- Utilize existing space within the school district, as well as address future growth as a result of demographic and housing patterns;
- Enhance existing facilities over the next five years based on improving learning opportunities for all students;
- Identify deferred maintenance projects to ensure the safe and effective operation of existing district facilities for the next ten years.
In Other News
Eight new classrooms will be added onto Brookview Elementary School in Woodbury to help address overcrowding in the southern portion of the district.
Ten student-athletes from Stillwater Area High School signed on to play at colleges and universities during National Signing Day.
Gina Doe has been selected to serve as principal for Afton-Lakeland and Dr. Chris Rogers will serve as principal of Brookview Elementary beginning in the fall.
School board is considering a non-voter approved lease levy for the immediate expansion of Brookview Elementary School in Woodbury.
Students in Oak-Land's National Junior Honor Society are working hard to care for individuals impacted the most by COVID-19.
Eight teachers and staff of Stillwater Area Public Schools are the recipients of special awards of excellence sponsored by The Partnership Plan.
Andersen and Lake Elmo Elementary teacher Robyn Hassani has been named a semifinalist for Minnesota Teacher of the Year.
Check out all the fun activities Community Education has to offer this summer.