Change video settings in Google Meet
If you run into one of the following issues while using Google Meet, you will want to change your video settings:
Video or audio delays
Poor network connection
Low battery on your device
Limited data available through your Internet provider or Mobile Hotspot
Other quality issues
You will need to change your video settings each time you join a new Google Meet.
This training assumes you’ve joined a Google Meet.
- Click the three dots in the lower right corner
- Click “Settings”
- Click “Video”
- Under “Receive resolution”, click “Standard definition (360p)”
- Select either “Standard definition (360p), one video at a time” or “Audio Only”*
- Click “Done”
- By selecting “Standard definition (360p), one video at a time”, you will only see the active speaker.
- By selecting “Audio only”, you will not see anyone on camera.
Additional Troubleshooting Tips
If you are still running into issues, try some of these tips:
- Make sure you only have one Meet tab open at a time. Close any open browser tabs, windows, or apps that aren’t currently being used.
- Turn off any Chrome extensions, especially Meet-specific ones.
- Put your device on a flat and elevated surface to prevent your device from overheating. Avoid using your device on the floor or bed for a long period of time.
- Change your Meet layout to Spotlight view.
If your computer meets the requirements, but you're still experiencing trouble with video calls, try some of these additional troubleshooting steps.
Download the Parent Quick Access Guide
What can we help you find?
Contact a live person for help with any technology needed to support at home learning.
Here are some important things to be aware of when using your school issued hotspot.
If you are running into issues while using Google Meet, you may want to change your video settings.
How to find a student Google email address and ID.
Check out this step-by-step guide to learn how to set up your Internet hotspot.
How to join a Zoom meeting
Let us help you get started on Schoology.
How to use Single Sign-On for Google.
Here is a list of local Internet Service Providers (ISP) with links to their main website, as well as their low-cost services that families must qualify for
Resources for a safe online learning experience.
How to log in from a home computer to Clever and Seesaw. (These instructions are not for mobile devices.)
Follow this Seesaw routine to help ensure you don't miss anything.
Let us help you with scheduling or joining a Google meet in different ways.
Where to purchase your own device.
When you use a browser it saves some information from websites. Clearing it out fixes certain problems, like loading or formatting issues on sites.
How to sign up for conferences in Skyward.
Here are some tips and tricks to help make sure you are getting the most out of your hotspot and that the internet connection is strong on your student device.
Troubles logging into Clever? Try Logging into Seesaw directly instead.
How Students Log In To A District ChromeBook to Access Clever & Seesaw